Most tend to forget about winter foot care as our feet may be fully wrapped up and hidden inside socks. But winter foot care is equally as important as summer foot care. Foot problems such as dry skin, cracked heels, chilblains and Raynaud’s phenomenon should be handled with proper care. Here are some tips on how to keep your feet healthy throughout the winter.
Causes of winter foot problems
- Temperature:Foot problems such as frostbite, Raynaud’s phenomenon and chilblains could occur when the feet is being exposed to freezing air.
- Low humidity:The winter environment and heating systems at home leaves the air extremely dry, causing serious dry and cracked skin
- Moisture:Although the environment is awfully dry, the snow and rain might still dampen your feet, as well as unbreathable footwear that traps moisture and sweat inside. This might eventually lead to fungus, odor and athlete’s foot. Also, snowy and slippery surfaces might lead to slips and falls and cause injuries.
Daily foot care tips in Winter
- Keep feet clean and dry:Wash feet daily to prevent fungal and unpleasant odor, with warm water and soap. Dry it thoroughly before putting socks or shoes on to prevent bacterial infection.
- Keep moisturized:Dry skin and cracks could lead to discomfort and pain. Moisturize feet daily with foot balm or cream.
Footwear tips for the winter
- Comfortable and wide shoes:Footwear that’s too tight restrains blood flow. This makes feet less warm and numb, which might eventually lead to frostbite, blisters and Chilblains. Pick shoes that are snug, with sufficient space for toes to move freely.
- Slip-resistant sole:Sturdy and slip-resistant sole is essential for slippery surfaces in winter. Be sure to wear something with a good grip on the ground to prevent slips and falls.
- Warm and breathable material:Go for socks or shoes with materials that could keep you warm while allowing your feet to breathe. This could prevent bacteria, fungus and odor generated by moisture trapped inside.
Winter footwear recommendation
FitVille Recovery Winter Slipper and Casual Air Cushion V3 both offer a warm cuddle to get you through the freezing temperature. Comes in 2E wide toe box with ample space for toes to wiggle. Extremely easy to put on, perfect for both indoors and outdoors. The velvet and plush inner lining keep feet nicely surrounded by warmth when you’re shoveling snow in the front yard. The Patented EVA sole provides sturdy support and shock absorption, with a slip resistant outsole.
FitVille Fluffy Cozy Non-slip Slipper Sock is made to keep you cozy at home. The soft cotton velvet hugs your feet gently while generating and retaining heat to get you through Winter. It keeps your feet bacteria-free and odor-free due to the breathability of the fabric, making sure the air circulates while keeping your feet toasty. The slip-resistant grip below makes it perfect for wandering around the house or having your feet up on the sofa.